Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 20, 2009

On my lap in the eighth grade tech ed room, Sam watched Obama become president. We were surrounded by students of every color and background, all as focused and awed by the moment they were witnessing. Sam kept saying Obama's name quietly to himself, it is soothing somehow.

I kept my tears to a minimum, but I screamed louder than anyone in the room when it was official! Sam was antsy during the speech, and not captivated by the poet (nor was I, but I'll be spending more time with her poem over the next few days to see if I can find my way in) but couldn't take his eyes off the screen during the benediction. The minister's shaky, deep, wise voice had a music to it that Sam's body was moved by, even when the words were hard to discern.

An hour later in the hallway looking into one of the classrooms he says; "Obama is in his house now, and he should eat cake." Everyone agreed.

No comments: