Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow Day Tribute to an Emergent Speaker

Words We Share

mama
more
look
up
No
wow
oowweee
uh oh
tah dah
nye-nye and
bye.

Words that will be yours alone:

donor

who helped create me
biological mother
who chose to make me
this brown skin
lighter than
an older brother
to watch over me



Words that will be his alone:


birth mother

who relinquished
adoptive mother
who claimed
my black skin
as dark as the man
who I don’t know and
a younger brother
who adores me


Words that you will never know

no black man
will ever be
elected president

Words that we will share

family
love
together
because


Words that I look forward to

Yes
Please
I love you too
I do
Remember at your graduation when
It doesn’t snow here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

But under looking forward, you forgot:

"I bought you a house, ma"

Mama C said...

You're right. And, "Don't worry private duty nursing is included ma.."